This is simply one of the best all around “good times ” cd ever made! Every song rocks. This is Great White’s best cd overall. You can’t help but to crank it up loud, pop open a beer and jam!
Digitally remastered European vinyl LP pressing of this 1981 release from the Australian Hard Rockers, reissued to coincide with their 2008 studio release and world tour. 10 tracks. Sony/BMG. 2009.Lesser bands might have been put off their stride by the death of their lead singer, but not AC/DC. No sooner had Bon Scott met his whiskey-sodden end in 1980 than AC/DC recruited a new singer, Brian Johnson–who sounded almost exactly like Scott–and released, in Back in Black, the biggest-selling album of their career. For Those About to Rock…We Salute You is a suitably triumphant follow-up. The cannon-punctuated title track–the most auspicious marriage of music and artillery since Tchaikovsky’s ”1812 Overture”–still provides a spectacular finale to AC/DC concerts. For Those About to Rock also confirmed that Johnson’s lyrical preoccupations were broadly congruent with those of his predecessor: ”Let’s Get It Up” and ”Inject the Venom” are as subtle as their titles sound. This is a record Beavis and Butthead would describe as ”cool”–and, as usual, they’d be right. –Andrew Mueller
Forum Topics See All →
There are no active forum topics for this Metal Album
Metal Album Reviews[RSS]
Pure and simple, this album got less attention than ..Twice Shy, but not because it lacks anything. This is definitely a complete album. Timeless and addictive, its something you can pick up every day and enjoy or just listen for a refreshing occasional visit… Hooked will get you just that on Great White.
Great White got a bum rap getting lumped in with some of the other hair bands of the 80’s. That’s not to say that there weren’t some great hairbands, as there definitely were. But GW is in a different league. This is hard rock with a bluesy feel. Jack Russell has one of the best voices of any group to come out of that decade, and he shines on this record. “Afterglow” is a highlight.
First of all this is an increadible cd!! i love it. when i first started to listen to it i only listened to 3 tracks which were (call it rock’n roll, lovin kind and afterglow. if it only had those songs i would still love it.however the other day i was in the car and i decided to listen to it all the way throught,and boy was i in for a treat. there is not a song on here that would be in the region of being bad. they all have their sound and let me tell you Mark Kendall, the lead guitarist really shows off some of his talent.you cant go wrong with this album, trust me. oh and just for the record i am 14 and i have only been listening to great white about 2 months and i am already a die hard fan!!!!!!
This is not the best Great White CD in the long line of great Great White CD’s, but it does have the most diverse bunch of songs. Let’s see, I bought this on the day it was released in 1991. I was 15 and looking for Twice Shy part 2. It wasn’t. Let me explain. Here are the songs and what my opinion is on them
1. Call it Rock & Roll 9/10, This was Once Bitten part 2. The first single and a damn good song. At the time I thought it was the best song on the record.
2. The Original Queen of Sheba 9/10, A great Bluesy rocker. Mark Kendell rips on this tune. Man, If I could play like that
3. Cold Hearted Lovin’ 6/10, Low point of the album. Just a rather boring song, Jack’s Voice gives the tune a lot of Emotion
4. Can’t Shake It 8/10, A song that goes back to pre Once Bitten styles. A true rocker that sounds great today
5. Lovin’Kind 10/10, Great White shows that they are not just a hard rock/metal blues band. This song is oozing with emotion that only Jack and the boys can deliver
6. Heartbreaker 8/10 not a Led Zeppelin cover just a real good rock/blues song
7. Congo Square 8/10 A song that might ask the Question Why did this band ever get grouped in with bands like Poison? It sounds nothing like it Must be the hair
8. South bay Cites 9/10 Intro sounds like it could be on Sesame Street, but you’ll find yourself singing along to a great laid back number
9. Desert Moon 10/10 I know that this was the opening number of the show where a lot of fans saw the band for the last time. It is one tragady that will have me asking why for a long time.
10. Afterglow 10/10 For someone that can only listen to a song maybe 2 times in a row, this I can do about 5 times. As long as I can sing a long
I hope this review will make you spend the $1.50 (amazon average price used) and get yourself a true classic.