Last time Disturbed released an album was 2002 with Believe, which took a step away from the pure brutality of The Sickness, and added
much melody and complexety to the mix. It was good in it’s way, just in a different way than the Sickness, which was just a heavier
album. Again, both good in their different ways. So now Ten Thousand Fists is released, and it is a GREAT mixture of the two ablums, it really is. The songs have taken both the more complex nature of Believe and combined them with the heavier nature of The Sickness to create something entirely new and awesome.
The band really shows their growth in this album, with guitarist Dan Donagan stretching out into several solos on the album. Also, with Fuzz leaving last year, they have a new bassist in the form of John Moyer (Formerly Union Underground). David Draimen(Vocals) also goes in new directions with his voice, and continues to show why he is one of the best vocalists of his generation.
1. Ten Thousand Fists- This song is actually not all that complex, but is more of a warcry than anything, sure to be a favorite at the concerts it was inspired by.
2. Just Stop- Not one of the standout songs in my opinion, but still very good.
3. Guarded- I personally think this is better than their actual single (Stricken). This was the first I heard of the new album, and it is a perfect example of this new album. It is both melodic while being heavy and furious.
4. Deify- A politically charged song with a voice sample of the President at the begining, the band attempts to discourage the ellevation of people to godlike status, with George Bush simply being an example of this.
5. Stricken- The first single off the album, and while I don’t think this is the best song, it’s pretty close. Dan’s solo in this one is excellent, and is a good example of how he has grown as a musician.
6. I’m Alive- Another song that doesn’t stand out quite like some of the others do, but it’s still keeping to the standard the rest of the album offers.
7. Sons of Plunder- In my opinion this is the best song on the album. I love the sound that it has, and would make a great second single after Stricken has had it’s run.
8. Overburdened- This is the band’s story of a soldier who is in hell, and doesn’t know why he’s there. Another politically charged song. Also it has a decidedly slower pace than most of the other songs.
9. Decadance- Like Just Stop and I’m Alive this doesn’t stick out like some of the other songs do.
10. Forgiven- This one has another excellent guitar solo at the end that I absolutly love, and is enough to make this one of the best on the album.
11. Land of Confusion- A cover of the Genesis song, this is a great cover better even than their Shout cover. It’s amazing how well this song lends itself to Disturbed’s sound, and how you can easily translate it’s message into today’s world.
12. Sacred Life- Last non standout song, but again very good, just not great to me.
13. Pain Redefined- This is an interesting song, and I really have grown onto the sound and feel of this song.
14. Avarice- Possibly the hardest song on the album, this one really takes them back to their Sickness days, great song here as well.
An incredible album that has a solid level of quality throughout. It’s Disturbed’s best to date, combining the elements that were best from their 1st and 2nd outings to make the mix that is present in Ten Thousand Fists. Easily worth the purchase.