Well, like most people I had high expectations for this album after their previous album “With Oden on our Side” which was regarded by many to be their best work to date. This album blew me away. Granted it’s not a dark as WOooS but it is WAY more melodic. They have really taken their songwriting to the next level. I love basically every track, though their are some that kind of stand above the rest, but all are more than worthy of many, many listens. I personally have listened to the entire disc like 50 times already, it’s like crack to me it’s just so damn good.
Here’s some ratings for ya
1. Twilight of the Thunder God – 9/10 Nice track and a good choice for a single
2. Free Will Sacrifice – 10/10 Excellent track, I find the riffs really catchy along with the humming or w/e in the background. On top of that the lyrics are sweet, kind of in a similar vein to the title track of the last album
3. Guardians of Asgaard – 10/10 Catchy as hell, will have you singing along for sure. This will most likely become one of the concert faves and makes a good “theme song” for the band, much like songs such as Versus the World, etc.
4. Where is Your God – 9/10 This track kind sticks out because it doesn’t have the rolling epic feel of the other tracks, just straight up pummeling and it’s good.
5. Varyags of Miklagaard – 10/10 One of my favorite tracks, melodic as hell. Song is about Varangian mercenaries that served the Byzantine Empire during the Middle Ages, they were universally renowned for their skill in battle and sheer ferocity.
6. Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags – 10/10 THIS is my favorite song on the whole cd. Basically chronicles the events immediately preceding the climactic battle during Ragnarok, Loki leading the dead to fight the Aesir, Fenris breaking free of his bonds, Surtr and the giants of Muspelheim riding over the Bifrost bridge and engulfing the middle world (midgaard) in flames, etc. Would have really been nice if they actually including the battle in the lyrics but maybe they’re saving that for a future song
7. No Fear for the Setting Sun – 9/10 This song really gets my blood pumping hehe, has a nice somewhat fast tempo and the chorus is memorable. The solo is pretty decent as well.
8. The Hero – 9/10 Another quality track, not much to really say about this one, basically about a mercenary wondering why people actually care for him as he lay dying from trying to defend them.
9. Live for the Kill – 10/10 Awesome track comparing warriors to wolves basically and the cello bit near the end really adds a nice touch. Another nice solo in this song as well.
10. Embrace of the Endless Ocean – 10/10 Second favorite song on the disc, will go down as one of their best songs. This is by far the best track to close the album with.
In summary this album is nothing short of a masterpiece, while some may like WOooS better for it’s darker atmosphere, I see this as their capstone album or the “album of their career”. If they keep pushing quality stuff like this they are going to cement their place as one of the best metal bands of all time.