I, as a person who listens to a massive variety of music, was impressed with Throwdown’s new CD. Pantera is one of my favorite bands, and in terms of metalcore/hardcore, Throwdown is one of my favorites as well. I liked Haymaker, but as a few reviewers said before, Dave was swearing left and right, and it seemed that by the time the CD was at track 10, you were already sick of it. It got really repetitive near the end, and the only reason that I listened to track 9-14 was to hear Raise Your Fist.
But with Vendetta, it’s a whole different story. They’ve made a few lineup changes once again (it seems with every CD, their lineup changes) and with Vendetta, you get the same heavy band that provides brutal breakdowns and in-your-face riffs, but interlaced in each of the 11 tracks is a Pantera-esque kind of feel.. The vocalist, truth be told, sounds a bit like Phil Anselmo, the singer of Pantera.
1. We Will Rise – A great start to an amazing CD. This song doesn’t pull any punches. When I first heard this song, I was very impressed with the new guitarist, particularly near the end, during the breakdown, where he incorporated this cool little riff into it. Very good song. 9.5/10
2. Speak The Truth – This track was the first I heard off of the CD. Very brutal track, and when Dave yells the chorus “SPEAK THE TRUTH!”, it sends shivers down your spine. 9/10
3. Vendetta – My absolute favorite track on the CD. This song starts off with a fast riff and it just gets faster and crazier until halfway through, when what I think of as their most brutal breakdown. Amazing song. 10/10
4. Burn – The first single off of the CD, and the second song I had heard off the CD. The first couple of listens didn’t do much for me, but after a few listens, it really stuck onto me. I thought this song was a little generic… It sounded like A LOT of the stuff that’s out there today. Just the general setup of the song… but the chorus comes around, it makes up for the blandness of the song.. 8.5/10
5. Discipline – This song, at one point in time, was my least favorite on the CD, but I’ve listened to the CD quite a lot since I first bought it, and this is actually one of my favorites. I love the harmonics in the middle of the song by the guitarist. Very cool and very Pantera like. 9.5/10
6. To Live Is To Sacrifice – A nice heavy track that keeps a very up tempo throughout the entire song. A crazy, sick breakdown at the end and throughout the song. The lyrics are a bit… repetitive, but I liked the song. It kept me energized. 9/10
7. Give My Life – My second favorite song on the CD. I just love how the guitar pummels your ears every time you listen to it. The lyrics are very good… It seems Dave Peters has spent more time thinking about what he’s writing. Very impressive song, with a crazy breakdown at the very end. 10/10
8. The World Behind – A very good song.. one of the weaker tracks on the CD, I think, but I love the chorus to the song. Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage guest stars in this (you can tell when his gruff, deep voice overlaps Dave’s) 8.5/10
9. Shut You Down – A crazy song.. I didn’t listen to this one too much when I first got the CD, but lately, it’s been one of those songs that I keep on repeat for a few listens. A nice heavy track. 9/10
10. Annihilation(NWD) – This was, by far, my least favorite track on the CD. I thought that it ran on a bit too long, and also, it just was a lot more slower then most Throwdown songs are. It was an alright song, but it just didn’t cut it for me.7.5/10
11. This Is Where It Ends – This song is under 2 minutes, but is still enough to get your blood boiling. Dave’s lyrics are lined with hate, and the guitar and drums are just so insane, that you can’t help but get up and jump around to it. Very great end to a GREAT cd. 10/10
All in all, i thought that this CD stands up much better then Haymaker.. Haymaker was good, but I thought it fell apart halfway through. This one stands strong throughout the whole thing.