This CD is Static-X’s debut. It is from 1999.
On eBay one day, I saw a deal I could not refuse. The deal had Wisconsin Death Trip and the other 2 albums by Static-X (not Beneath, Between, Beyond) for a measly 6 bucks. I bought it. This was their first CD, so I listened to it first. IT’S AWESOME!
With Wayne Static’s booming vocals and the rest of the band’s guitar and drums, it’s hard to not find something to like on WDT. I’ll go through, one by one, each track on this disc. I’ll rate them from a scale of 1 to 10.
1= it’s a disgrace to the world
1. Push It- The CD starts off fast, quick and great with “Push It”. Although some people say this is their favorite, it’s not for me. It ALMOST is. The reason I like this is it’s not overplayed (or even played) on the radio, unlike some songs. Great lyrics and the guitars are, also. Wayne does a great death metal voice on this one. Nothing not to like on this one.
Rating: 11/10 Time- 2:35
2. I’m With Stupid- Woah. While this is just as fast and awesome as the track before this, I’d have to say “Push It” is better. This is obviously the weirdest song on the disc and the guy/girl singing with Static talks weird and makes no sense. This song is different than everything in the world, but that doesn’t make it bad.
Rating: 10/10 Time- 3:25
3. Bled For Days- Another fast song. Although not as good as “Push It” or “I’m With Stupid”, it’s still a great song. The lyrics aren’t quite as good as in any of the tracks, but the chorus still has good lyrics. The chorus saves this song from being a flop.
Rating: 9/10 Time- 3:46
4. Love Dump- Although it’s a slower song than anything before it on this album, this is good. It’s very techno and the lyrics are really good. It seems like this would be hard to play in a concert with all the mechanical noises and stuff. Pretty good, not the best.
Rating: 9/10 Time- 4:20
5. I Am- This is much better than Love Dump and Bled For Days before it. It is faster than both of those songs, and the lyrics are better than in Bled. Not as good as “Push It”, but Wayne sings great and, as always, the guitar is awesome.
Rating: 10/10 Time: 2:47
6. Otsegolation- I don’t get why Static-X has to add the “otsego” songs onto every CD they put out. The songs are much weaker than anything else on the disc, and the lyrics are always bland, usually resulting in them saying “otsegolation” over and over and over. Also, Wayne’s voice seems hoarse and not near as good.
Rating: 6/10 Time- 3:32
7. Stem- Hmmmm…. don’t know quite what to say about this song. It’s just barely better than “Otsegolation.” Just kind of stupid. It’s slower than many things on the disc and it’s not near as good as many other things.
Rating: 7/10 Time- 2:55
8. Sweat of the Bud- The beginning slow part gives you the feeling it will be like “Stem”, but this song is much faster and the lyrics are a lot better. The guitar is some of the best you’ll hear on WDT, but the song isn’t one of the strong points.
Rating: 8/10 Time- 3:30
9. Fix- Although it sounds like they’re saying “In a fix, Jello, I am in a fix”, the lyrics actually make sense. The whole song is good and is much better than “Sweat of the Bud” or “Stem”.
Rating: 9/10 Time- 2:50
10. Wisconsin Death Trip- In my opinion, this is the best song on the CD. Although the lyrics aren’t as great as some songs, the guitar, drums and vocals are all perfect. Nothing wrong with this track, better than anything else on here. Plus, since the lyrics are so easy, you can even sing-along!
Rating: 11/10 Time- 3:09
11. The Trance is the Motion- Although the song title doesn’t make much sense at all, this is still a good song. It’s not as perfect as WDT before it, but it’s alright.
Rating: 9/10 Time- 4:50
12. December- Not much to say, December is an instrumental and a slow one at that. Not as bad as “Otsegolation”, but it really doesn’t fit in with a metal CD like this one.
Rating: 7/10 Time- 6:18
So, I’m done rating all the songs. All in all, this is a complete and awesome CD that any metal fan will enjoy. This is much better than Shadow Zone, but, unlike other people, I like Machine just a bit better. Machine is harder and I like more songs on it. Now, it’s time for The 3 Best Songs and The Filler.
The 3 Best Songs
3. I’m With Stupid
2. Push It
1. WISCONSIN DEATH TRIP
Sweat of the Bud…
Even though there’s a lot of filler, this is still a must-have for any fan of metal or hard rock. Soon, I’ll write my review for Machine. Look there soon.