Are you serious? How on earth did you end up landing on this page unless you really want to be a horrible singer? Or you are actually surprised with the title of this article?
Most people will want to learn how to sing beautifully, so why did I write a singing article teaching people how to sing horribly?
Well, how about looking at it this way. If you can understand what horrible singing is all about, then you will be able to sing better by avoiding the common mistakes horrible singers do, right? In the law of attraction, this is called “Contrast”.
1) Shouting instead of singing – Unknown to many amateur or even many professional singers when singing a fast number, they shout instead of sing. Sometimes this happens because of bad sound check and the singer could not hear herself/himself. Sometimes it is through sheer bad habit and worse of all, they are not even aware of it.
Shouting out a song, unless the song requires you to like certain rock or heavy metal songs not only sounds horrible to your audience and if done persistently over a period of time can cause permanent damage to you vocal cords.
2) Singing without warming up – Warming up your voice before a performance is vital for voice care. Singing when your vocal cords are cold, especially when singing high notes will make your voice sound very tight and tensed. Furthermore, it could also lead to voice damage in the long run.
3) Not Cooling Down – Cooling down your voice with the right vocal exercises is just as important as warming up. After a performance, your vocal cords are strained and stressed. You need to cool it down to ensure good voice care.
4) Smoking – Think of all the tar, toxins and heat hitting your vocal cords every time when you smoke. Don’t you think you are destroying your voice in the long run? Is it any wonder why singers who smoke have raspy voices?
5) Alcohol Consumption – Consumption of alcohol dehydrates you. That means that your vocal cords are vibrating without enough lubricant or fluid and the constant rubbing of your dry vocal folds during singing will damage them. Furthermore, if you drink before a performance, you may forget your lyrics and make you look like an idiot on stage. Isn’t that horrible?
6) Not getting enough sleep – When your energy level is not at its optimum, do you really think that you can put up an energetic or even an artistic performance?
7) Singing out of your vocal range – You may want to impress your audience by singing very high or very low notes which are not in your vocal range. This is a terrible mistake as your voice will not only come out as sounding badly strained, it is also awful for your audience’s ears.
Drinking honey or milk – Ok, I hear your howls of protest because many people think that drinking honey actually sooth their throats. Well, drinking honey, sugary drinks and dairy products will cause a build up of phlegm. When your vocal folds are coated with a sticky film of phlegm, do you think they can vibrate freely enough to create the resonance for a good singing voice?
So if you want to sing horribly or want to damage to your vocal cords, then follow the above so that you can be a horrible singer. If not, just stay away from these bad singing habits and develop a beautiful singing voice through proper vocal exercises.